Friday, April 14, 2006

I become the girl in the photo

Last night all of the moon came up out
of the headland and you saw the land
because of the moon. The land was almost
yellow and brown and almost too the green patches
of moss. You could almost see all of that. And
we wondered if people ever looked for
lost things with the help of the moon,
and said no we'll wait for another night
to look, a night when the moon is full.
I've spent days on a roof with a
gallon of tar and felt and tacks and
then a few days inside a house prying
off various qualities of wallboard
and peeling away seven layers of wallpaper
and then finding photos that are ninety
years old, of a girl standing by the
side of a house and suddenly I see that
it's the house I'm in -- there's a
distinct feature to the frame of the
window. And I go outside to check the
window and yes I'm right it is the
very window and then I realize I'm
standing in the same spot as the girl
in the photo. When you stand on a roof
you own the house.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got the house! Congratulations! I don't envy you the tar but I do envy the house, and the moon.

11:25 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way you write about it I can tell it was the right decision; good on ya. Tell me when you plan to warm it and I'll try to be there for the dancing.

1:17 p.m.  
Blogger Randy McDonald said...

I just wanted to drop a quick note to say that I rather enjoy your writing. I met you briefly in 2001 in Charlottetown PE, when you were on tour in support of your excellent This All Happened. I've been pleased to since discover your weblog, and to learn of the success of your most recent novel. I appreciate your skill in capturing in prose specific moments and their import.

Thanks for the writing,
Randy McDonald

4:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. Something about the way you wrote the last sentence makes me laugh out loud.

4:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about the way you wrote the last sentence made me laugh out loud XD

4:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about the way you wrote the last sentence made me laugh out loud.

4:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home