Thursday, February 02, 2006

Toilet at Tiffany's

As some of you diehard blog readers know,
I like to visit and grade the public restrooms
of this world. I was passing Tiffany's.
So I went in. I headed for the men's watches.
A man with a handlebar moustache, he rubbed
his shirt cuffs. I'm just looking, thanks.
The price is tucked under the body of the
watch, or perhaps there is no price, just
a series of numbers indicating the provenance
of the watch. I hear an elevator. I walk
to the back of Tiffany's. Which floor sir?
I scan the list and ask for six. To the
men's lounge! And at the top of the building
is a hallway to the washrooms. One toilet
in a room on its own, and one urinal. The
fixtures are by Toto. A square sink. Regular
paper towels. The mirror is generous and
clean. B+

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't grade a restroom without mentioning lightning. A generous mirror, as you call it, would be ruined depending on the angle or type of lights. The difference between a flattering and a most unbecoming reflection--which only rare bathroom designers seem to understand.

9:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to grade any bathroom with lightning as an F ... though, if during the zaps I looked at my reflection and saw a marked improvement, I might upgrade the mark to a D.

ER Druthers (we love being silly on a Monday)

2:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we're going to be literal, let's. A bathroom with lightning probably has a skylight. Surely a skylight deserves better than an F or a D. ?? Though I've never come across a public restroom with a skylight.

9:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Winter, are you still in that lightning chamber? I prithee, come out of the privy and write us a little (or large) something.

8:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have had the pleasure of leaving my breakfast at Tiffany's. I remember the men's toilet was in a fortress of a stall and it had a beautiful doorknob.

4:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The price is tucked under the body of the
watch, or perhaps there is no price, just
a series of numbers indicating the provenance
of the watch.


How often we forget the value of coordinates.

3:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home