Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Great Red North

Late at night, we're with
friends attending the launch of Spirit
magazine. We're in a crushed bar, DNA, on
Adelaide. A native hiphop artist,
doing those hand gestures, as if he's
pressing air down. A baseball cap on
and a white towel under the cap.
He's a great mimic of black gang culture.
A waiter twisting through the crowd,
carries a grey plastic tray full of
empties above his head. A video screen
with poker. Am I the last to figure
out that native Canadians have a home
in hiphop music? The next act is
so American I have to ask: they are
Hispanics from Los Angeles, playing
the aboriginal card.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh, was he mimicing black gang culture, or was he just doing hip hop which you associate with black gang culture?

10:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I experienced a disturbing incident today in Starbucks. I ordered a light Eggnog Latte and the server said “You mean a Non-Fat Latte.” Yet she’d just explained that eggnog lattes are half eggnog! I didn’t correct her -- I sensed the terminology might escalate. (And why am I using Italian to order a coffee, anyway? I’m not Italian.) Dear readers, please advise.

ER Druthers

6:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLEASE:

1. Go to Google
2. Type "World Map"
3. Open Photoshop or Paint or something else that changes images
3. Place small red dots next to all the places you've been

11:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it worked! Nice to see new content in this blog.

ER Druthers

2:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home