Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Reading at the Heliconian Club

Inside the walls are white with a bright
blue ceiling, so it feels like a mural
of Santorini. I read to 163 women and 2
men. The men have questions. The
women do too. If youre wondering who
wrote the questions in the back of the
paperback, the writer is Colin McAdam.
If youre wondering what Question 14 is
all about, I am too. If you think, from
reading the book, that every man in
Newfoundland is a homosexual except for
Rockwell Kent, well that would be the
fault of the author. I was wearing my
grandfather's watch, as I've busted my
other two. It's a cold clear night in
Toronto. I took the subway home, and
someone was reading the Complete Novels
of George Orwell. They were all under
one cover. A man with long hair in a green
army jacket was kissing a woman in a
checkered cloth coat. They were happy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Heliconian Club was formed in 1909 as a way for women in the arts to meet together, so not surprising that it was mostly women at the reading. Was the woman in the checked coat at the reading? Did she meet the green-jacketed man there? Do you think your readings are a good place for men to meet women?

4:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here was my intro to the author: On a flight I read "The Point David Made Earlier." I have read it numerous times since. Does this particular short story belong to a larger collection? I'm fascinated by such a unique and oddly familiar voice.

10:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, help us out! Where your readings are advertised? I try to keep up on what's coming up, but I didn't see any ads for this reading. Where should I be looking so I don't miss out again?

7:39 a.m.  
Blogger Michael Winter said...

I met my girlfriend at a reading,
so yes.
Re readings. I'll try and promote,
on the blog, an upcoming reading.
As it is, I think the next thing
I'm doing is in Pittsburgh. I'm
being driven there in the sidecar
of another author's Norton.

5:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,

The H. Club is for women members only. They discriminate against men. Imagine if a club for white people only invited you to speak. Would you go?

Principles, lad. They matter.

http://www.nysun.com/blogs/letter-from-london/2008/03/as-byatt-women-only-lit-prizes.html

3:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home