Monday, August 22, 2005

J&L Convenience, Small Point

I've been wearing a trucker's
cap all year from J&L Convenience,
Small Point, Newfoundland. It's
the one on this website where
I'm befriending the pony from Cupids.
I found the hat in a restaurant in
Carbonear. I'm on my way to Broad
Cove and realize I'm driving
through Small Point. So I keep my
eye open for J&L. And find it. I pull
in. I put on the hat. I walk in and get
a case of beer from the walk-in
cooler. I square up to the cash
and the woman behind the counter.
I've been wearing this cap, I say, all over
the world. Whenever I've got a small
point to make I touch the cap.
I've worn this cap in Australia and Hawaii
and at bullfights in Spain and in
London and at readings all across Canada.
I'm here to tell you, I add,
that advertising pays.
Oh yeah, the woman at the cash
says. She punches in the price
of beer. So will this be all?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, was that all? And while we're at it, what kind of beer was it? Was there a small point in Small Point and was the store convenient?
gg

3:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Keef,
You didn't get it. Not one bit.

4:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but its not about angles or moaning or "service people" (ugh). Its about different worlds.
Bub

2:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks - you don't get Small Point at all. I live a province away but fell in love with the area 5 years ago, bought a house and now share my time between my routine world where I work and follow a rather standard life pattern, and "the bay" where I feel more connected to the why's and mystery of life and people in general. Folks in Small Point aren't impressed by your accomplishments, your career, your possessions. They take time to size you up on the basis of who YOU are. So in Small Point they don't think of the woman at the cash as a "service person" - she's an equal in the community. You buy stuff - she rings it in .. there is no hierarchy here. Did you take the time to learn more about her? Why then do you assume that she should take the time to know about you?

8:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home