Saturday, September 17, 2005

Forgive me if I ramble about this stag

We'd been four days in the woods, and
had seen seven caribou, but all from
too far away. There was a glorious
white stag with tall antlers, he was
collecting a harem of does. But just
out of range. Okay, he was two hundred
yards. But we waited. We waited on
the Red Bog which is off the woodsroad
called Wigwam Brook Road in western
Newfoundland. We got up at 4:30 am,
fried some eggs, made a cup of coffee
and drove out the highway to the woods
road and then walked in along a trail
to the marsh they call the Red Bog.
And waited. And saw him punch his way
out onto the bog and look north, where
the fresh wind was coming with the
beginnings of Ophelia and the loss
of Rex Goudie. He looked north and
we were fifty yards south of him.
And now we've gutted him, quartered him,
sawed out his 18 point rack, carried
him out, hung him, skinned him and
driven him over to Summerside where
the Patey family will let him hang
in the cooler with all the moose
until Wednesday, when he will be turned
into steak and roast and ground meat
and long ribs and soup bones.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

give me tofu

9:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An honest account (you’ll be getting mail). I used to hate the idea of hunting. But if it’s for sustenance and not for sport ... and how could I really be against it when I buy meat, even if it’s organically raised?

I have tofu leanings, but I’m not there yet.

10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

You're in my neck of the woods, I see... and heard.

You had a little chat with a friend of mine at the video store last night. Sorry I missed you, though I'm not certain you'd have been up for a Q&A session after a day of hunting.

I've never tasted island caribou. My father-in-law prefers the meat from Labrador. Personally, I just prefer anything that isn't peppered with pine needles.

10:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home