Wednesday, August 25, 2004

My Launch at the Ship

I'm hauling a roasted duck out
of the oven when my sister arrives.
And then, behind her, two other
people. But they are in silhouette.
Yoohoo!
It's my mother. And father.
Theyve driven nine hours across
the island to come to my launch.
We eat the duck. I look at them.
At the surprise of them.
Then we head down to the Ship,
to launch my book. Where else
to launch a novel, but at the Ship.
Lisa Moore reads something from her
novel in progress. Something
dangerous happens in the waves
off Australia. I like how this
danger is spoken of in a bar in
Newfoundland. It reminds me of
the comment Glenn Gould made,
when he was taping the soundscape
"The Latecomers." He was recording
waves off the Newfoundland coast.
But it didnt sound good enough.
So he stuck in a taped wave sound
from the Galapagos Islands. The
permission he gave me to inject
my book with anything, as long as
it felt emotionally true.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love blogs! And I've been reading yours almost since it started. I think you had an excellent idea to start it.
Can't wait to read the book.

Jowita

4:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home